I've had a Moodle site running on XAMP for development for a few years that originally started out as Moodle 3.2, if my memory is correct. I side loaded it to use git for updates and sort of side load the whole XAMP to upgrade it four times. I have also moved the moodledata folder out of the moodle root file. Anyway, today I just upgraded the Moodle code from Moodle 3.10.9+ to Moodle 3.11.5+. In the past, I never worried about running cron for this Moodle as I have other sites where I check stuff that depends on cron. However, just to let you know, the MoodleCron-Setup you link too above, does work. My first attempt, I did try to set it for 1 minute like Moodle recommends, but could not get it to work. Took a while to get it to uninstall and try again, but I do have it running about every two minutes now.